Full-Time, Anywhere, Remote (must overlap 4 hours with GMT-8)
Tales is creating a modern publishing platform. We connect writers to data, upgrade their monetization, and give them the tools to create new storytelling formats. Think Roblox for fiction writers. Join us and together we’ll connect storytellers with consumers, cut out the gatekeepers, and build the next Netflix powered by creators in the process.
You have the ability to just figure things out even if it’s not in your wheelhouse. There is no obstacle, just learning opportunities. You enjoy coming up with multiple solutions to the same problem and can explain technical topics to non-technical folks. You enjoy putting your friends to shame by finding answers to their questions on Google. You understand complex logical equations and spreadsheet shortcuts. You’re excited by the power that game design and storytelling have to touch hearts and minds. You have your choice of which companies to work for but you’re strongly driven by mission and values.
- Game Design: Deep understanding of how to combine gameplay with narrative. Background in mobile games, freemium, interactive fiction, and tabletop will serve you well.
- Language: You have flawless English ability. You’re that annoying person who corrects their friends when they use “literally” or “ironically” the wrong way. You also know that some grammar rules were made to be broken and know when to break them.
- Experience: Must have shipped a commercial, noteworthy, narrative-driven game. Recommend 5+ years of commercial experience. If you’re looking for an entry-level position: Content Manager.
- Teaching: You’ll be teaching creators on our platform the best way to create engaging, dynamic gameplay that fits cohesively with the narrative of their story.
- Creating: You’ll be leading by example, creating highly replayable stories on our platform to show creators what is possible while solving technical scripting issues in our stories that the machines haven’t figured out how to catch yet.
- Designing: The core gameplay on Tales is simple today but you’ll have the opportunity to add deeper mechanics, with an eye on accessibility for both players and writers. Doing deep dives into media companies, competitor products, writer hangouts, etc., to surface useful information to the rest of the team.
Top Five Reasons You Should Join Tales
- Mission: Only 5% of published fiction is written by people of color. We’re democratizing access to publishing by removing the traditional gatekeepers.
- Innovation: Build content creation tools creatives have never seen. Top creators from TellTale, BioWare, Wattpad, and Twitch have already started creating original franchises on our platform.
- Impact: Be the hero of creators who will be able to make a sustainable living on our platform. When they succeed in creating household names, you’ll know you had an integral part in bringing that to life.
- Upside: Being an early team member means you get to shape our journey in meaningful ways. Economically, you’ll own a piece of a more engaging and democratized version of Kindle or Netflix.
- Fun: The journey may be long but you’re working at the intersection of media and technology. This isn’t a payment processor (nothing wrong with that if that’s your cup of tea – but here there be games!).
- Location: Remote, must overlap at least 4 hours with PST (California) time zones.
- Application: Fill out the form below OR drop us a line via email: email@example.com
Careers - Game Designer